Thursday, December 27, 2012

On Les Miserables

I wanted to post about Les Mis right after I saw it, which was like a week ago. But then I wanted to give everyone else a chance to see it, and I hope that you've seen it now, because I'm going to talk about it, by golly. I saw it again last night, and it gave me a fresher view, less clouded by my dewy eyed fangirling.
Although, let me tell you, my eyes were just as dewy the second time, if you know what I mean.... 


So, yeah, the movie was excellent. Let's talk about it.
Favorite things:
1. Marius.
You guys, Marius was perfection. His performance of Empty Chairs at Empty Tables stole my heart. I was bawling. And Eddie Redmayne is a doll. Let's just be honest here.

2. Inspector Javert
Despite critics' low expectations for him, Russell Crowe owned that Javert. Stars was incredible. His suicide was heart-stopping. His voice had a clarity to it that none of the other cast members had, and I loved it. 

3. Fantine
Okay? I'm glad we're all in agreement.

4. The finale.
When Valjean is with Cosette and Marius! And then Anne Hathaway comes again! And then he dies! And then I die!
And then when the reprise of Do You Hear the People Sing starts...
And all the characters that passed away are on their little heaven barricade!
It was perfection. I couldn't even take it.

5. Gavroche.

Stop it. Stop it. Stop it. Stop it. 
He was so cute. I almost died.
When he sang "Do You Hear the People Sing", I almost died.
When he did his cute little boy smirk, I almost died.
And then they shot him, I did die. 
True story, you guys.
Hashtag realtalk. (I just said that.)

I don't even think I can talk any more about favorite things, because I just won't stop. I mean, seriously, you didn't even get me started on my beloved Hugh Jackman. OR the fact that Colm Wilkinson played the bishop. Because I can't even go there. I just can't.

So let's just talk about less favorite things for a second.
1. Lovely Ladies.
But we all knew that would be no bueno. The second time I saw the movie, I just spent that whole scene braiding my pull-apart Twizzler. Because, just, no.

2. They didn't sing the whole Little Fall of Rain song.
Which is just sad.

3. They could have done a lot more creative camera work.
I felt like all the characters were in your face the whole time. Like, the camera didn't move away from Anne Hathaway's face for the entire duration of "I Dreamed a Dream." And I was like, "Okay. You can stop now. She has a booger coming out of her nose." For reals.

Other than that, this movie was incredible. Pretty much my favorite movie right now. The acting was flawless. Everything was amazing.
And for my excessive use of GIF's in this post, I do not apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment